The First Series Production Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas has been handed over to Chief of Air Staff by Raksha Mantri on 17th January 2015.
The following are some of the reasons for delay in completion of LCA project:
- Ab-initio development of the state-of-the-art technologies.
- Non-availability of trained / skilled manpower in the country.
- Non-availability of infrastructure / test facilities in the country.
- Unanticipated technical / technological complexities faced in structural design.
- Non-availability of critical components / equipment / materials and denial of technologies by the technologically advanced countries.
- Enhanced User’s requirements or change in specifications during development.
- Increase in the scope of work.
- Inadequate production facility at HAL.
Subsequent to achieving Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) status on 20th December 2013, Tejas series production has commenced.
The first Squadron of 20 IOC standard aircraft is expected to be delivered by 2017-18. Efforts are underway to enhance the production capability.